My photo
I am the Momma of 8 children. Seven here on earth and 1 precious little Angel in Heaven. My children range in age from 2 months to 25 years. My 6 year old was born with a laundry list of complex medical conditions. He has Trisomy 21 (Down Syndrome), a rare brain malformation, which resulted from a mutation of the PAX-6 gene, bilateral anophthalmia, which means that he was born without any eyes, so he is totally blind. At the age of 2 1/2 months old he had to have a tracheostomy to help aid in his breathing. He is hearing impaired, with normal hearing in his left ear and has profound deafness in his right. At 3 1/2 years he had surgery to have a Mic-Key button placed in his stomach (feeding Tube), which is mainly used to give him his medications. He also has insulin dependant diabetes and wears an insulin pump, which gives him a continuous dose of insulin. Even with his many dis"abilities," including being globally developmentally delayed, he has accomplished more than anyone would have ever believed that he could. Join us in our journey living with a Dis"Abled" child....

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Please Can I Have A Pet???

Mama's little boy is growing up so fast! Today was Timmy's last day of Pre-K. I can't believe that an entire year of school is already over! They had Fun Day at school today. Timmy's favorite activities were water play and petting a Rat snake and a Corn snake. He just thought that it was so funny to feel the snakes wiggling in his hands and he found it even more funny when the snakes wrapped themselves around his hand and arms. I'm sure if he could have asked, he definately would have asked for a pet snake! Mrs. Lowman, Timmy's teacher took a few pictures. I'm hoping that we are able to get together, so that I can download her disc to our computer. So that I can share some pictures.

Last week we volunteered at Timmy's school. I had all of Timmy's classmates help me to create a momento project for Timmy that he would be able to enjoy himself. We used a white pillow case, assorted colors of fabric paints and puffy fabric paint. I had each child place one of their hands into their favorite color of fabric paint, then place their hand onto the pillow case. This left a slightly raised hand print of each child. I then took a permanent marker and wrote the child's name under their hand print. Once all of the hand prints had completely dried, I used puffy fabric paint to outline each hand print. By outlining each hand print, it makes it easier for Timmy to be able to feel each hand print. Being that Timmy can't see pictures, I felt that him having a momento in which he could feel would make for nice memories for him. I'll try to post a picture of the completed project, just so that you can see how nice it looks.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Wow what a great craft! Can't wait to see the finished project. And the snakes sound like something a little guy would love. How fun.

Blog Archive