My photo
I am the Momma of 8 children. Seven here on earth and 1 precious little Angel in Heaven. My children range in age from 2 months to 25 years. My 6 year old was born with a laundry list of complex medical conditions. He has Trisomy 21 (Down Syndrome), a rare brain malformation, which resulted from a mutation of the PAX-6 gene, bilateral anophthalmia, which means that he was born without any eyes, so he is totally blind. At the age of 2 1/2 months old he had to have a tracheostomy to help aid in his breathing. He is hearing impaired, with normal hearing in his left ear and has profound deafness in his right. At 3 1/2 years he had surgery to have a Mic-Key button placed in his stomach (feeding Tube), which is mainly used to give him his medications. He also has insulin dependant diabetes and wears an insulin pump, which gives him a continuous dose of insulin. Even with his many dis"abilities," including being globally developmentally delayed, he has accomplished more than anyone would have ever believed that he could. Join us in our journey living with a Dis"Abled" child....

Friday, September 11, 2009

8 Years ago on 9/11/2001

Eight years ago on 9/11/01, it was a beautiful, clear morning. The temperature was very comfortable, in the mid 60's with an expected high temperature in the low to mid 80's. A peaceful morning, like this morning.

I had gotten up, made my then 5 year old breakfast and walked him to meet the school bus. By 7:40am Zach was on his way to school for his 3rd week of Kindergarten. Being the morning was so pleasant, I decided to take a walk to the pharmacy to pick up my prescriptions, but first I had some things to do around the house. I washed up the breakfast dishes, started a load of laundry and just tidied up the rest of the house a bit, picking up and putting things in their proper place.

At about 8:45am Floyd and I left home to walk the 15 minutes or so to the pharmacy. While we were in the pharmacy, the DJ came on the radio, which was being broadcast throughout the small pharmacy and announced that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. Having grown up listening to this same DJ day after day for over 15 years, I knew that he had a sick sense of humor sometimes, so my initial thought was "Yeah Right! What a sick joke guy." Not long after the DJ made the announcement all of the phones in the pharmacy started to ring. I remember over hearing the cashier asking the person whom she was speaking with on the phone to please bring over her 13in. TV, so that they (all of the employees at the pharmacy) could see and keep up with the news reports. After paying for my prescriptions, Floyd and I rushed home. We arrived home just in time to see the replay of the 2nd WTC tower being crashed into.
Even after seeing the news reports, with the replays of the planes crashing into the WTC's, I was in shock and disbelief. Why was this happening? How could something so tragic and horrific happen in our Country? A Country of Opportunity, Dreams come true and Freedom? Who would be so selfish and have such ill regard for human life and be so uncaring to do something like this? I felt sick at my stomach. My heart ached for ALL of those who so innociently lost their lives. And for the families who lost their loved one, who will have to live each passing day with such horrific memories. And for the friendships which had been shattered through death by such tragedy. With the magnitude of the destruction, my mind wasn't able to forsee the out pouring of generousity that was to come from strangers throughout the entire country, putting their differences aside while helping to rebuild and mend so many broken hearts.


My thoughts and prayers go out to all of those who lost their lives 8 years ago, to the families and friends who lost that special friend or family member and to ALL of the HEROES of 9/11/01! May God Bless you all!


What were you doing on September 11, 2001?

No comments:

Blog Archive