My photo
I am the Momma of 8 children. Seven here on earth and 1 precious little Angel in Heaven. My children range in age from 2 months to 25 years. My 6 year old was born with a laundry list of complex medical conditions. He has Trisomy 21 (Down Syndrome), a rare brain malformation, which resulted from a mutation of the PAX-6 gene, bilateral anophthalmia, which means that he was born without any eyes, so he is totally blind. At the age of 2 1/2 months old he had to have a tracheostomy to help aid in his breathing. He is hearing impaired, with normal hearing in his left ear and has profound deafness in his right. At 3 1/2 years he had surgery to have a Mic-Key button placed in his stomach (feeding Tube), which is mainly used to give him his medications. He also has insulin dependant diabetes and wears an insulin pump, which gives him a continuous dose of insulin. Even with his many dis"abilities," including being globally developmentally delayed, he has accomplished more than anyone would have ever believed that he could. Join us in our journey living with a Dis"Abled" child....

Friday, January 28, 2011

Round Three With A Twist

Winter is my least favorite season. I hate having to bundle up in layer upon layer of clothing. I hate being cold. I hate when my babies get sick and have to suffer through the aches, pains, fevers, spitting up, loss of appetite etc. that goes along with the flu or a cold. It breaks my heart that during these illnesses that I can't just take away all of their blah and leave them happy, smiley and care free once again.

During the winter it seems that no matter how careful we are by frequently washing hands and by sanitizing items and surfaces once a person has finished using it, the inevable happens, someone gets sick.

Timmy was the lucky or should I say the unlucky one. He was the first in the family to be diagnosed with the flu. For a child with a compromised immune system, he ended up having the mildest case of the flu that I have ever seen, thank goodness. Like most kiddos who have compromised respiratory systems, when Timmy gets sick his condition can go downhill very rapidly. Forty-eight hours with a temperature, 2 days of missing school, and a productive cough, this was the extent of Timmy's flu symptoms and its full course.

Now Emily and Nate both have been diagnosed with the flu. Emily's symptoms seem to be similar to those Timmy has. Poor Nate has not only these symptoms, but the achiness, runny nose, spitting up, and a cronic ear infection. It has been 4 days since he has shown symptoms of the flu and he just is starting to turn the corner for the better. It breaks my heart to look into his puppy dog eyes, which seem to be pleading with me to take away the aches and yuckiness of his illness and all I can do is cuddle with him and try to will the medication to work faster and will his body to get well soon.

I'm counting down the days until the first of April. At which time here the weather should be much warmer. My favorite season of the year. Only 61 days to go!

No comments:

Blog Archive