My photo
I am the Momma of 8 children. Seven here on earth and 1 precious little Angel in Heaven. My children range in age from 2 months to 25 years. My 6 year old was born with a laundry list of complex medical conditions. He has Trisomy 21 (Down Syndrome), a rare brain malformation, which resulted from a mutation of the PAX-6 gene, bilateral anophthalmia, which means that he was born without any eyes, so he is totally blind. At the age of 2 1/2 months old he had to have a tracheostomy to help aid in his breathing. He is hearing impaired, with normal hearing in his left ear and has profound deafness in his right. At 3 1/2 years he had surgery to have a Mic-Key button placed in his stomach (feeding Tube), which is mainly used to give him his medications. He also has insulin dependant diabetes and wears an insulin pump, which gives him a continuous dose of insulin. Even with his many dis"abilities," including being globally developmentally delayed, he has accomplished more than anyone would have ever believed that he could. Join us in our journey living with a Dis"Abled" child....

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Going To Visit Grandma

In just over 24 hours Floyd and Nate will be leaving to go to IL to visit grandma. (Floyd's mom) Ms. Wilma is undergoing radiation treatmwnts for cancer. Her cancer was discovered in December. Floyd is taking each of the kids one at a time, so that grandma is able to spend much needed quality time with each grandchild individually. This way, the kids aren't competing for attention from grandma.

Letting Nate go away so far from his home without me is very difficult for me. Nate and I haven't been apart for more than a few hours.

Floyd is a wonderful dad. He manages to take care of all of Nate's needs. What do I mean by manages? You mom's out there understand what I mean when I say "we" care for our babies better than daddy does. We know what each little whine, cry, grunt means. We respond to our babies at a minutes notice when they need something. Dads sometimes tend to overlook the fact that the baby needs their attention, like NOW. It isn't until the baby starts crying hysterically, that dad is willing and ready to step in and meet the baby's needs. Dads tend not to have as much patience. They are in their own little world most of the time. At night dad's turn off their ears. They don't heear the baby needing something until mom has been up for awhile and has the baby almost settled back into their bed. Does this sound familiar to you? Or is Floyd the only dad like this?

So now you can understand why I'm a bit depressed about letting Nate go away for 3 whole weeks!

I LOVE all of my children equally. But me and Nate and me and Timmy have this "special" bond. With Nate and Timmy my maternal instincts are hyper sensitive. I don't like having them out of my sight for too long. I'm not sure why I'm this way only with Nate and Timmy, unless it is because they both have a disability. Mommy wanting to overly protect her little ones. ?

Maybe with Nate and Floyd away, I will be able to have some quality "ME" time. A time for me to be able to catch up on this blog, to read, relax and not stress over the daily "to-dos". Yes, I will still have the other 3 (Timmy, Emily, Zach) in the evenings. During the day they will be in school. So all day starting at 9:00AM the rest of the day is MINE, until 2:45PM.

Oh what joy! But can't wait until my baby Natie Cakes returns home and is once again in Mommy's arms.!

No comments:

Blog Archive