My photo
I am the Momma of 8 children. Seven here on earth and 1 precious little Angel in Heaven. My children range in age from 2 months to 25 years. My 6 year old was born with a laundry list of complex medical conditions. He has Trisomy 21 (Down Syndrome), a rare brain malformation, which resulted from a mutation of the PAX-6 gene, bilateral anophthalmia, which means that he was born without any eyes, so he is totally blind. At the age of 2 1/2 months old he had to have a tracheostomy to help aid in his breathing. He is hearing impaired, with normal hearing in his left ear and has profound deafness in his right. At 3 1/2 years he had surgery to have a Mic-Key button placed in his stomach (feeding Tube), which is mainly used to give him his medications. He also has insulin dependant diabetes and wears an insulin pump, which gives him a continuous dose of insulin. Even with his many dis"abilities," including being globally developmentally delayed, he has accomplished more than anyone would have ever believed that he could. Join us in our journey living with a Dis"Abled" child....

Friday, November 27, 2009

Disabled Musicians Make Up Band 'Flame' -

I watched "Miracle On 34th Street" last night, like I try to do every year. And every year, even though I know what is going to happen with each scene in the movie, I find myself crying. Especially during the scene where a mother of a deaf little girl (Sammy) takes her daughter to see Santa and Santa uses sign language to communicate with the little girl.

Before Timmy was born, I could sit through movies like this and not shed a tear. No, wasn't and am not a cold hearted person. I believe it was because I never realized just how uncaring and cruel this World is to the disabled. Until a person is walking in the same shoes of a person, who is having to deal with and face the day-to-day care and struggles of a loved one, it is sometimes hard for those on the outside looking in to understand the cruelity and difficulties that the disabled individuals and their families face.

I was watching "Good Morning America" this morning and this news story really got to me as well.

Disabled Musicians Make Up Band 'Flame' - ABC News

Even though I'm the type of person, who perfers the original singers/bands to preform the original version of my favorite songs. These disabled individuals are pretty good.

I just hope that one day that their dreams of Making It To The Top comes True.

No comments:

Blog Archive