My photo
I am the Momma of 8 children. Seven here on earth and 1 precious little Angel in Heaven. My children range in age from 2 months to 25 years. My 6 year old was born with a laundry list of complex medical conditions. He has Trisomy 21 (Down Syndrome), a rare brain malformation, which resulted from a mutation of the PAX-6 gene, bilateral anophthalmia, which means that he was born without any eyes, so he is totally blind. At the age of 2 1/2 months old he had to have a tracheostomy to help aid in his breathing. He is hearing impaired, with normal hearing in his left ear and has profound deafness in his right. At 3 1/2 years he had surgery to have a Mic-Key button placed in his stomach (feeding Tube), which is mainly used to give him his medications. He also has insulin dependant diabetes and wears an insulin pump, which gives him a continuous dose of insulin. Even with his many dis"abilities," including being globally developmentally delayed, he has accomplished more than anyone would have ever believed that he could. Join us in our journey living with a Dis"Abled" child....

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

6 Weeks 2 Days

I had my OB visit today. I just LOVE the scales at the Docs. They truly showed me some mercy today. They have me weighing 142lbs.

I'm actually further along than I thought. The Doc I saw did a quick ultrasound just to try to get a more accurate due date and check for viability of the pregnancy. Our little Poppy Seed measured 6 weeks 2 days. And had a heart rate of 130bpm. According to myths, a low fetal heart rate is a predictor of a baby boy. Honestly, I don't care what the sex of the baby is. All I want is a Healthy baby.  But Emily on the other hand wants a baby sister. How do I know this when currently only those who read this blog know I'm pregnant. Because for the past 2 months Emily has been going around telling EVERYONE that she is pregnant and going to have a baby sister. Kids sure say the darnest things. Can you imagine the looks we get when she tells strangers this while we are at the park or store? We've tried to explain to her that if she has a baby it won't be her sister but her little girl and that mommy and daddy would be Grandma and Grandpa. She disagrees by saying that we can't be MiMi and PaPa cause she already has one.  I'll wager my guess at the baby's sex after a couple more OB visits when I can see if there is a steady trend to the heart rate.

Why is it when a mom is pregnant and she wants to do right during her pregnancy and it goes against the Docs beliefs, they look at you like you have grown 2 extra heads??? The initial reason for scheduling this appointment so quickly was to discuss other medication options for my diabetes. I was taking Metformin, which is an oral medication that is used to help the pancreas to produce more insulin. According to my extensive research, like ALL other oral diabetic medications, they have not been adaquately studied in women who are pregnant. I also obtained the knowledge and opinion of 2 Endocrinologists, whose opinions I truly trust and admire. Both Endocrinologist agreed that ALL oral diabetic medications are definately a NO, NO during pregnancy.

When I told the Doc I would rather try to continue to control my blood glucose levels with diet and exercise before being put on ANY oral diabetic medication. The Doc excused himself from the room to go get the Chief of Obstretics to talk to me. The Chief has been at this clinic for 27 years. My oldest daughter is 24 and was delivered by Docs from this clinic. The Chief walks in scratching his bald head and says to me "The info you have about oral diabetic medications is incorrect. They are safe." I pulled out my Handy Dandy up-to-date Medications Guide and pointed out that ALL of the info in this book says that oral diabetic medications SHOULD NOT be taken during pregnancy. Both Docs mouths dropped to the floor. I told them that I prefer not to be used as a "test patient" I want PURE insulin. All the Chief could muster up to respond was "Ok, if you really want to stick yourself multiple times a day." I responded with "I'll do anything for the well being of my unborn baby!" Sooo, I was given a script for Humilin R, 10u in the AM / 7u in the PM and Humilin N, 20u in the AM / 7u in the PM.

I have an appointment on Dec. 23rd with the OB so that they can review my blood glucose levels and adjust my insulin dose if necessary.

Only 10 more days left BEFORE Floyd and Emily leave to go to visit Grandma in Chicago for Christmas. Timmy and I are looking forward to some much needed mommy and son time alone! The plan as of now, Grandma will be coming back with Floyd and Emily, so that she can spend some time with Timmy. We feel that the winter weather is just too brutal for Timmy. We sure don't want him to get sick if we can prevent it.

No comments:

Blog Archive