My photo
I am the Momma of 8 children. Seven here on earth and 1 precious little Angel in Heaven. My children range in age from 2 months to 25 years. My 6 year old was born with a laundry list of complex medical conditions. He has Trisomy 21 (Down Syndrome), a rare brain malformation, which resulted from a mutation of the PAX-6 gene, bilateral anophthalmia, which means that he was born without any eyes, so he is totally blind. At the age of 2 1/2 months old he had to have a tracheostomy to help aid in his breathing. He is hearing impaired, with normal hearing in his left ear and has profound deafness in his right. At 3 1/2 years he had surgery to have a Mic-Key button placed in his stomach (feeding Tube), which is mainly used to give him his medications. He also has insulin dependant diabetes and wears an insulin pump, which gives him a continuous dose of insulin. Even with his many dis"abilities," including being globally developmentally delayed, he has accomplished more than anyone would have ever believed that he could. Join us in our journey living with a Dis"Abled" child....

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Visit To The Pumpkin Patch


We took the kids to the park and the Pumpkin Patch today. Emily, of course, ran herself ragged at the park. Timmy, on the other hand, finds the park relaxing and the perfect place to take a nap.

The temperature here today is in the mid 70's. with a slight chance of rain. Not the type of weather that I associate with Fall or Halloween. When I think of Fall or Halloween, I think of cool, crisp days, where the leaves are changing colors and falling from the trees. Where the kids wear sweats and are bundle up in a light jacket when they go out to play. I think of a nice warm fire in the fireplace in the evenings, and sipping hot chocolate.

The warm weather just doesn't set the mood for Halloween for me. In fact, it is a bit depressing. I feel that maybe instead of carving the pumpkins into Jack-O-Lanterns, we should let the kids paint the pumpkins, hide the pumpkins for the kids to find, and maybe even do a pumpkin roll, like an Easter Egg roll. Having lived in the South all of my life, I guess this is one reason that I'm not a big fan of Halloween. It seems that the weather around this time fo year is just to crazy and never cooperates for the season. So for the sake of the kids, I guess we will stick to the tradition of the Halloween Holiday.
At the Pumpkin Patch, we let the kids picks out their own pumpkin. We will carve the pumpkins into Jock-O-Lanterns, let them have fun playing in the pulp and I'll roast pumpkin seeds.
Take a closer look at Emily's socks. I guess in her own young mind she agrees with her MaMa. She is definately ready for cooler weather and a much more fun Holiday!



Look at our little man. He is sitting up all by himself so nicely. It is hard to believe that he has made this much progress in just 1 year!

1 comment:

PrayforNathan.org said...

WoW Donna he looks AMAZING sitting up, how wonderful!! Especially since he started doing it this year. He is doing SO great! Please tell him he inspires me! They looked like the had fun picking up pumpkins :-)

Blog Archive